Friday, March 10, 2006

Journal#4:"Tarnation"

“Tarnation” was strange movie for me. I have never seen that kind of movies before. It took me time to figure out that the filmmaker make a film about himself.

I like the way he put the narrations. Narrations only appear as inner title, so there is no voice over narration. I think that made the movie objective although it is a autobiography of the film maker. White gothic font words are keeping cool and objective atmosphere in the movie. The inner seems not a narration by him, but a observation of others.

By using his own collection of videos and pictures, I think he is trying to show his real feelings and real situation; how he was. Even it is home video each shots were really strong. Since some of shots were his point of view shots, I could easily imagine how he was living and in what distance he was communicating with people.

Music was kind of soft even when the images are cruel. I though that music represents his feelings now. I imagine that he might get through all cruel things and finally found calm place. Then he made this move as if he is remembering the memories. Since he is now in calm place, his feelings about his past is not violent any more; however, his cruel experience never disappears. To show this mixed situation he used soft music for his feelings, and real records for his experience. That all I imagine.

Then, his style reminds me that I can do basically same thing. I always take a picture in everywhere. I take pictures not for beautiful picture, but for record of my life; what I saw on that day. Since I am keeping these photos, many years after, I might be able to make autobiography of myself in same way Jonathan did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home